Wednesday 8 June 2011

No mans woman

I saw the Tracey Emin exhibition at The Hayward Gallery last Friday. It was wonderful actually. I know she is an amazing artist but I forgot just how amazing she is.  I have always loved her art work and her writing. I remember seeing the film I think called 'why I gave up disco dancing' when it was part of her entry into The Turner Prize about 10 years ago. The way she talks about her life, her deeply personal struggles with relationships, her sexuality, childlessness and even her abortion really touches me. Her courageous narrative give voice to the thoughts and experiences of so many women. Years ago when I first heard her I was amazed that not only did someone think how I thought but that they had the balls to say it outloud and in a very public forum.

No comments:

Post a Comment