Wednesday 27 July 2011

Morning is not quiet as broken ...

Finally starting to cheer up after a couple of weeks of self obsessed misery. Waking up with a puppy is pure joy although I have to be on my guard for 'accidents' as soon as my feet hit the floor. I work in education, a world where the term 'fail' is discouraged largely because it results in a loss of fee's to the establishment. We no longer fail assignments we merely 'refer' them. Stella's house training was assessed under this criteria and this morning we had 2 passes and 2 referrals. Not bad.
Last night I went to a 'meditation' group that turned out to be a sales pitch for a process called 'Turning Point'. I have heard of a few of these types of courses, The Landmark, Hoffman and others. What they seem to have in common is that they are rather expensive and tend to suggest that we can 'heal our lives' over the course of a long weekend. The idea seems to be that you look at critical incidents in your past, recalling feelings and identify coping strategies that you put in place at the time. The point being that outmoded coping strategies developed by a hurt adolescent will become more problematic than the original incident in an adult. In principle I agree. In AA I have been taught to 'look at my part' question my belief and reactive systems, release being a victim and take a pro active approach to life. All this I do and yet I still spend quite a lot of time lying on the floor feeling terrible and not knowing what to do about it.
While I know of a number of people who have attended these seminars and view the experience positively I remain rather cynical and always find the people so unattractive.

No comments:

Post a Comment